Date
Change in ZLC Composition

Matt Hogstrom

I have had a shift in responsibilities for my day job and as such have not been able to attend to Zowe as much as I think I should be commensurate with my responsibilities. As such, I’m stepping down from the ZLC; but not from Zowe.

The momentum for what the community is creating is palpable. Customers are now asking for it to do their own internal development, products are using it and we’ve made substantial progress over the past few years from incubator to open source to a critical part of product offerings and customer consumption. I’m honored to work with giants such as yourself.

One of the activities that needs to be done is to replace my seat on the ZLC. For consideration, I’d like to nominate Joe Winchester for that role. He is active in the community, driving critical work for packaging via CUPIDS and is the goto guy for so many things Zowe.

John Mertic will help to facilitate the process.

Again, thanks so much. You are all fantastic to work alongside.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

ZLC Call for Wed Sept 24 is cancelled

Matt Hogstrom

Matt Hogstrom
PGP key 0F143BC1

On Sep 24, 2019, at 17:14, Jean-Louis Vignaud via Lists.Openmainframeproject.Org <JeanLouis.Vignaud=broadcom.com@...> wrote:

I'm as well in customer meeting tomorrow and won't be able to participate.
Jean-Louis

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 3:29 PM Bruce Armstrong <armstrob@...> wrote:
I also have conflict that I am not able to get out of - so I'm not able to chair meeting

 Bruce Armstrong

IBM System Z Offering Manager- zowe.org

4205 S MIAMI BLVD, DURHAM NC 27703-9141

Email: armstrob@...

Tel: 919-254-8773

Cell: 919-931-3132

From:        "Matt Hogstrom" <matt@...>
To:        zowe-zlc@...
Cc:        zowe-dev@..., zowe-user@...
Date:        09/24/2019 04:16 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [zowe-zlc] I will not be able to make or lead the call tomorrow
Sent by:        zowe-zlc@...

Can someone volunteer to lead?

No new agenda items apart from the ongoing discussion of v.next and reconciling the missing data as a result of the website move.

If there are no takers by 2100 this evening I’ll cancel the call for tomorrow.

--
Jean-Louis Vignaud
Product Management

I will not be able to make or lead the call tomorrow

Matt Hogstrom

Can someone volunteer to lead?

No new agenda items apart from the ongoing discussion of v.next and reconciling the missing data as a result of the website move.

If there are no takers by 2100 this evening I’ll cancel the call for tomorrow.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

Re: [zowe-zlc] [VOTE Summary] Site promotion to Github Pages

Matt Hogstrom

We have 5 of the 6 ZLC members voting +1.  In prior conversations Jean-Louis indicated his agreement so I’m going to summarize the approval to shift the website over.

John, I know your completing a formatting issue.  Once that is complete please proceed.

Votes
+1
Hogstrom
Armstrong
Linardon
Grady
Ackert

Pending (prior verbal approval given on previous ZLC calls)
Vignaud

Matt Hogstrom
matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

On Aug 19, 2019, at 9:45 AM, Mark.Ackert via Lists.Openmainframeproject.Org <Mark.Ackert=broadcom.com@...> wrote:

+1

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:07 AM <jlinardon@...> wrote:

+1

Jean-Philippe Linardon

Director, Software Engineering

Rocket Software

77 Fourth Avenue • Waltham, MA • 02451 • USA

From:        "Matt Hogstrom" <matt@...>
To:        zowe-zlc@...
Date:        08/16/2019 05:40 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [zowe-zlc] [VOTE] Site promotion to Github Pages
Sent by:        zowe-zlc@...

Good feedback on the site.  I think we have the bulk of the changes … This vote is to approve what we have and cutover on Monday morning (8/19)  to the new site.  Additional changes can be added as we move forward.

Discussion in https://openmainframeproject.slack.com/messages/CBVJGPWHX

I tested the page and links on Mac.  Firefox (68.0.2 (64-bit)), Chrome (
77.0.3865.35 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)) and Safari (12.1.1 (14607.2.6.1.1)) ...

+1
0
-1

Matt Hogstrom

matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270

Facebook LinkedIn Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

Re: [zowe-zlc] [VOTE] Site promotion to Github Pages

Matt Hogstrom

Adding my +1 and missed mailing lists.

On Aug 16, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Matt Hogstrom via Lists.Openmainframeproject.Org <matt=hogstrom.org@...> wrote:

Good feedback on the site.  I think we have the bulk of the changes … This vote is to approve what we have and cutover on Monday morning (8/19)  to the new site.  Additional changes can be added as we move forward.

I tested the page and links on Mac.  Firefox (68.0.2 (64-bit)), Chrome (77.0.3865.35 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)) and Safari (12.1.1 (14607.2.6.1.1)) ...

+1
-1

Matt Hogstrom
matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

Follow up on Zowe install question

John Mertic

Hi Paul!

Following up on your Zowe install question, check out the docs at https://zowe.github.io/docs-site/latest/user-guide/installandconfig.html which might be helpful. I've also CCed +zowe-user@... which is a great place to get help as well.

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation
ASWF, ODPi, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

Re: [VOTE] Shifting the Website over to Github from River

frans.beyl@...

+1

Op 2 aug. 2019 om 15:39 heeft Joe Winchester <winchest@...> het volgende geschreven:

+1

Joe Winchester
IBM z/OS Explorer Senior Technical Staff Member - Project Zowe Contributor zowe.org

Phone: 44-7749-965423
Twitter: @JoeWinchester    LinkedIn: joewinchester
E-mail: winchest@...

From: "Matt Hogstrom" <matt@...>
Sent by: zowe-user@...
To: zowe-zlc@...
Cc: zowe-user@..., zowe-dev@...
Date: Thu, Aug 1, 2019 9:28 PM

[...]

Re: [zowe-dev] [DISCUSS] Update on Voting

John Mertic

Thanks for this Matt.

To address the initial election challenge of determine which seats are 1 year and which are 2 year, the general path many of our projects take is to do it by votes received ( meaning, the top 3 vote getters have the 2 year seats, and the other 3 have the 1 year seats ). If there are two individuals from the same org in the top 3, the next highest vote getter not from that org would have the 2 year seat. If there are two individuals from the same org in the next 3 the next highest vote getter not from that org would have the 1 year seat. Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation
ASWF, ODPi, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM Matt Hogstrom <matt@...> wrote:
Last week we continued to discuss our upcoming vote.  As I previously indicated, we’ve learned a lot since the community was initially formed and now that we’re at the end of the first year one of the items is to vote on the ZLC composition.  We realized that our initial documents didn’t adequately cover the dissolution and reformation of the ZLC.  Our current thought process is to update the founding documents with a better structured plan for restructuring the ZLC.  The initial ZLC was formed by two participants from each of the founding companies which gives the ZLC 6 seats.  To better structure the ZLC formation what we are planning on doing is:

Defer voting for 6 months to line up with the initial release of Zowe in February.
Structure the ZLC such that no more than two reps from any company can be seated on the committee.  (Not currently in the founding documents)
The seats on the ZLC will be for 1 or two year terms.  If there are two reps from the same company one seat will be two years and the other will be for one.
The community can nominate (or people can self-nominate) for the positions.
The entire ZLC will be reformed in February following these guidelines.

Our rationale is to build diversity in the ZLC and the community.  We feel that these changes will allow us to provide some stability as well as ensure diversity of membership with some safeguards on a single company having too many seats.  Defering the vote for a new ZLC allows us 6 months to pull in additional ISVs and interested parties and the updated charter will ensure better stability of the ZLC.

To restate the purpose of the ZLC.  It is intended as a body to help provide structure and a unified vision for Zowe.  Where projects might not be aligned on issues the ZLC can help to arbitrate and make a decision.  I is NOT intended to tell projects what they must work on but to set the direction for goals of the combined projects and a vision for the roadmap for Zowe across the projects.  The ZLC is also responsible, and most importantly, to ensure that IP, governance and other responsibilities to the OMP and the LF are fulfilled.

If you have questions / comments as we progress this discussion please respond to this thread.

We will have an updated charter in the next week or so and we will call a vote to update these documents in the next few weeks.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

[DISCUSS] Update on Voting

Matt Hogstrom

[...]

Re: [zowe-dev] [zowe-user] [zowe-zlc] [DISCUSS] Updated Governance Documents and ZLC Succession Plan

Matt Hogstrom

On Jul 8, 2019, at 10:30 AM, Matt Hogstrom via Lists.Openmainframeproject.Org <matt=hogstrom.org@...> wrote:

I wondered that last night as I was making the multi-repo changes.   I’ll create a PR for both and looks for a reviewer / approver.  Thanks for the suggestion John.  Welcome back from vacation.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@...
+1-919-656-0564
PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom

On Jul 8, 2019, at 10:12 AM, John Mertic <jmertic@...> wrote:

Wondering if with all these docs in active development, should we consider merging the ZLC and community repos? That might help centralize process docs that impact all communities and reduce the repo sprawl that's happening.

Thoughts?

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 10:06 AM Tim Brooks <tim.brooks@...> wrote:
Hi Matt,

Great note - we really have done a lot in the past year.

One question I have is what you are looking to be reviewed in the community repo? I have been working with the other squad leads to have the committers contribute their contact info to a committers list here: https://github.com/zowe/community/blob/Committer-List/Zowe%20Committers.md
Its in a separate branch than the one you had listed in your note.

Tim Brooks
Associate Offering Manager - Zowe
IBM Z
E-mail: tim.brooks@...
Office: 919-254-2436
Mobile: 703-343-5030

Zowe.org

From: "Matt Hogstrom" <matt@...>
Sent by: zowe-zlc@...
To: zowe-zlc@..., zowe-users@..., zowe-user@...

[...]

Re: [zowe-dev] [zowe-user] [VOTE] Require Multi-Factor Authentication for Committers to Zowe Projects in GitHub

Jean-Yves Baudy

+1

Cordialement, Regards.

IBM France Lab logoJean-Yves BAUDY
IT Specialist
z System Software
IBM France Laboratory
Office: +33 2 51 16 40 48
Mobile: +33 6 74 68 49 12

baudy.jy@...
IBM logo
1 Bis Avenue Gulf Stream
44380 Pornichet - France

"Joe Winchester" ---20/06/2019 13:08:52---+1 Joe Winchester IBM z/OS Explorer Senior Technical Staff Member - Project Zowe Contributor zowe

From: "Joe Winchester" <winchest@...>
To: zowe-dev@...
Cc: zowe-dev@..., zowe-user@..., zowe-zlc@...
Date: 20/06/2019 13:08
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [zowe-dev] [zowe-user] [VOTE] Require Multi-Factor Authentication for Committers to Zowe Projects in GitHub
Sent by: zowe-user@...

From: "Matt Hogstrom" <matt@...>
Sent by: zowe-dev@...
To: zowe-user@...
Cc: zowe-zlc@..., zowe-dev@...
Date: Thu, Jun 20, 2019 1:38 AM

Vote passes … all +1s with

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Require Multi-Factor Authentication for Committers to Zowe Projects in GitHub

Matt Hogstrom