Proposed discussion for Fridays call

James Vincent

I have updated the document at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NGAvEI6KyQ9efBYXNHDfHwgdXhFzKIkqYn9G_Kw1w5M/edit   I am going to use this document for on-going updates. The GitHub version can be “sync’d-up” occasionally as needed.  I personally do not find GitHub very easy to use for quick modifications to a document like this.

For the remainder of the call this Friday after the demo, I would propose we focus on recommended APIs to be included.  I put in a table to start this discussion (it is not complete) to start conversations on overall function of each type of API.  This new table is at the bottom section of the document after API recommandations.

I also propose the focus remain on the “what” not the “how” – ie, what kind of APIs, what kinds of parameters could be used, what the output should be.  The “how” of the calls, formats, structures should wait until we agree we’ve got a good list.

Thanks everyone

James Vincent

Sr. Systems Architect

Velocity Software Inc.

196-D Castro St

Mountain View, CA 94041

Office Main: (650) 964 8867

Fax: (650) 964 9012

http://www.velocitysoftware.com/

vsi-30b

Mike MacIsaac

James,

I agree that google docs is easier to edit WYSIWYG style than a .md file.

I also agree with the “what” over the “how”.

Thanks for staying with this one.

    -Mike

WARNING: Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the source of the email and know the contents are safe.

[...]

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Mike Friesenegger <mikef@...>

Hello James,

On 07/23/2018 11:22 AM, James Vincent wrote:
I have updated the document at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NGAvEI6KyQ9efBYXNHDfHwgdXhFzKIkqYn9G_Kw1w5M/edit   I am going to use this document for on-going updates. The GitHub version can be “sync’d-up” occasionally as needed.  I personally do not find GitHub very easy to use for quick modifications to a document like this.
I agree that Google makes editing easier but IMHO does a poor job with version control and reviewing of proposed changes by a community.  Let me explain what I am trying to do.

I have tried to view the versions of this Google doc but I am unable to select the Version history option.  This is probably because I  need to be an editor of the document.  If I was an editor of this doc and wanted to propose a change then I am thinking I should set the editing mode to Suggesting.  What I do not know is if this will make it easier for others to review my suggested change so that ultimately you and Mike can accept an agreed upon change.

Personally, I like Git even though it does take some upfront learning and adapting the way you edit a document.

Regards,

Mike Friesenegger

jichenjc@...

Thanks for the sharing, I briefly read the document and that's a good start

And we (IBM) do have some code and API spec here http://cloudlib4zvm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/restapi.html
it is used by our IBM openstack upstream code https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:merged+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/add-zvm-driver-rocky
(it's merged and will be in main tree next month from openstack Rocky release) and some other integration solutions already

I briefly compared the proposed google doc and our spec , some are similar so how about instead write a new one ,we can consider to enhance the existing one and
you are free to add any code into https://github.com/mfcloud/python-zvm-sdk and https://review.gerrithub.io/#/q/project:mfcloud/python-zvm-sdk
so we can joint cooperation and make the mainframe z/VM API more robust and easy to use ? Thanks

Best Regards!

Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨

Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM@IBMCN Internet: jichenjc@...
Phone: +86-10-82451493
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District, Beijing 100193, PRC

"James Vincent" ---07/24/2018 01:22:37 AM---I have updated the document at INVALID URI REMOVED

From: "James Vincent" <james@...>
To: <omp-wg-cloudstack@...>
Date: 07/24/2018 01:22 AM
Sent by: omp-wg-cloudstack@...

[...]

Hi Mike,

Good points. I really do like GitHub for maintaining code and used it fairly heavily at my previous job. And you are correct, the version control is seen and maintained by the editor(s) of the Google Doc. I took your suggestion and switched most everyone to Comments Only mode (which is effectively Suggesting).  Now people can see who typed what until the changes are accepted (or not).

[...]

Thank you.

I see an anonymous edit in the document.  It looks like the negative to change everyone to Comments Only means that anyone even anonymous can make suggestions.  I hope this is not a problem.

Mike

On 07/24/2018 05:02 AM, James Vincent wrote:

[...]

That was me. 😊  “Cloud” collaboration isn’t a bad thing – at least in my head.  If some nefarious person puts crap in it, then I will turn that off.  Setting it this way allows anyone in our group (and beyond) to offer suggestions.

[...]

John Mertic

Agreed on making this comment only - I think considering engagement plans Google Docs probably makes more sense.

Would everyone be comfortable of making the link to the doc public so it's easy for others to find ( comment only access for public )?

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation - ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 9:11 AM James Vincent <james@...> wrote:

[...]

I am comfortable.

Mike

On 07/24/2018 08:08 AM, John Mertic wrote:
[...]

Done - added link in the GitHub doc directing people to the other doc.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:13 AM Mike Friesenegger <mikef@...> wrote:
I am comfortable.

Mike

On 07/24/2018 08:08 AM, John Mertic wrote:
Agreed on making this comment only - I think considering engagement plans Google Docs probably makes more sense.

Would everyone be comfortable of making the link to the doc public so it's easy for others to find ( comment only access for public )?

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation - ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
+1 234-738-4571
[...]

John Arwe

My IP training is twitching.  Don't you need to ensure that all contributions are licensed according to the wg (probably inherited from OMP) rules?
For GH that's gated by the PR process.  I don't see anything similar in the Google Docs flavor, although doing so seems like it would be easy enough.

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
z/VM System Management http://xkcd.com/1695/

John Mertic

Good question - all these docs are CC BY 4.0 licensed.

We can capture providence via DCO, we can add 'Signed-Off-By: xxx@...' for each contributor to the doc during the commit.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM John Arwe <johnarwe@...> wrote:
My IP training is twitching.  Don't you need to ensure that all contributions are licensed according to the wg (probably inherited from OMP) rules?
For GH that's gated by the PR process.  I don't see anything similar in the Google Docs flavor, although doing so seems like it would be easy enough.

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
z/VM System Management http://xkcd.com/1695/

John Arwe

1: What's DCO?
2: I'm feeling dense; how does "'Signed-Off-By: xxx@...' for each contributor to the doc during the commit." help with the *anonymous* Google Docs contributions?  Once the edits (contributions in Suggesting mode) are anonymous, aren't they effectively unusable, and even if someone within the wg later came up with the same idea wouldn't that at least appear to be a contamination issue?

From:        "John Mertic" <jmertic@...>
Date:        07/24/2018 11:22 AM
Sent by:        omp-wg-cloudstack@...

Good question - all these docs are CC BY 4.0 licensed.

We can capture providence via DCO, we can add 'Signed-Off-By: xxx@...' for each contributor to the doc during the commit.

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation - ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
jmertic@...
+1 234-738-4571
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM John Arwe <johnarwe@...> wrote:
My IP training is twitching.  Don't you need to ensure that all contributions are licensed according to the wg (probably inherited from OMP) rules?
For GH that's gated by the PR process.  I don't see anything similar in the Google Docs flavor, although doing so seems like it would be easy enough.

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470
BluePages
z/VM System Management
http://xkcd.com/1695/

John Mertic

Hi John!

It's a fair point on the anonymous point - could we ask that people put their names/emails somewhere in the doc so we could track contributors.

From:        "John Mertic" <jmertic@...>
Date:        07/24/2018 11:22 AM
Sent by:        omp-wg-cloudstack@...

[...]

Do you want anonymous contributions or no?  I asked on the call for those editing the doc to put in their initials or something to ID them, but so far, no one has contributed.

For now, I am turning off anon contributions.  If people want to chime in and really help out, they can request access to do so that way a real name will go along with the comment/suggestion.