How best to engage with this WG?

John Arwe

I'm looking for guidance from the working group, first on how to participate but I'm sure more will come.

By way of introduction, I work for IBM.  In my misspent youth I helped birth z/OS XCF and WLM, and later participated in a number of standards and open source bodies, including stints in W3C as wg chair and TR editor (not at the same time, of course) on a RESTful API [3] ... so yes, sadly I can still cite RFCs by number and sometimes chapter.  Mostly in parallel, I managed a wide (all of IBM Software) review of RESTful APIs to extract the best/worst practices and document those.  A year or two ago, I published some Atom (GitHub's native editor) support for z/VM languages in the OMP GitHub repos (more to do there, so many repos so little time).  More recently, I've come to own IBM Wave, which FYI happens to have an existing RESTful API not yet on your list.

Looking at the wg page [1] and the recent listserv traffic [2], I have some logistics questions:

1: How to participate.  [4] mentions a regular meeting, but details are scant.  [5] says to email off-list for some calendar magic, but the sender's email is suppressed by the renderer (no doubt as an anti-spam measure) so that's easier said than done.

2: Past minutes.  If [4] is accurate, the wg meets bi-weekly.  I see minutes for July 13 and June 22, a not-minutes post June 14, and then nothing minutes-y until Feb 23 [6].  Where are the minutes in between?  I like to do my research so I can avoid re-hashing already-settled territory.

3: What is the desired output, over what time frame?  The Vision/Mission sections of [4] have no tangible outputs that I can discern.  The next section talks about a document ([4]?) on how to "deploy" something, which suggests there is a more concrete "something".  Or is this more of a "best practices" for private cloud on z kind of idea?  Later sections talk about "required operations", which might be read to mean that the goal is a specification or reference implementation that a single client would interoperate with, regardless of which implementation it's interacting with ... but that's quite a ways from a best-practices-style document, and it implies amongst other things multiple independent implementations plus perhaps a test suite.

4: Since RESTful means many things to many people, and I've had to manage spec comments from well-known parties in that space like Mark Baker, what does this group mean by RESTful ?

[1] https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/g/omp-wg-cloudstack
[2] https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/g/omp-wg-cloudstack/messages
[3] https://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/wiki/Main_Page
[4] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NGAvEI6KyQ9efBYXNHDfHwgdXhFzKIkqYn9G_Kw1w5M/edit?ts=5b2cd35b
[5] https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/g/omp-wg-cloudstack/message/39
[6] https://lists.openmainframeproject.org/g/omp-wg-cloudstack/message/37

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470
z/VM System Management

Mike MacIsaac

John,

Thanks for the append.

1)      We have a call every other Friday from 11-noon Eastern time. I can add you to the invitation list, but I need your e-mail address.  You can send it to me at mike99mac at gmail.com

2)      I haven’t done the best job at taking minutes, but those in June and July will have you caught up on this new document we’ve started.

3)      All good questions.  The powers-that-be want a document describing a RESTful API for zLinux and zVM cloud solutions.  (John M, Phil T, Len S: correct me if I’m wrong)

4)      RESTful to me means I can drop a URL in a browser or send it with a “curl” command and an operation will be performed, or the results of a query will be returned.  There are lots of ways “that cat can be skinned”.  We have one in our organization, however, it does use the conventional GET/PUT/POST/DELETE mechanism.

Hope this helps.

    -Mike MacIsaac

WARNING: Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the source of the email and know the contents are safe.

[...]

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Mike MacIsaac

Whoops,

Ø  however, it does use the conventional GET/PUT/POST/DELETE mechanism

Ø  however, it does NOT use …