Date

Correct Link: Treat Yourself to a Guided, Comprehensive Tour of Zowe Desktop Applications

Christine Blum

Open
                                    Mainframe Logo

Zowe Quarterly Webinar
Understanding token-based security in Zowe

Zowe API ML leverages various security token types depending on the choice of the identity provider and ESM subsystems deployment options. Join this session to learn how this technology can help you to achieve the exceptional security expected from a modern mainframe system and how to provide great flexibility for client application and mainframe services developers.
This session will give you an introduction to security tokens and recommend best practice when implementing token-based security in Zowe.

  • What is a token anyway
  • How tokens help to enhance API security and fuel cross-platform integration
  • What security tokens exist and what is their purpose
  • Token types used by Zowe API ML and how to choose between them
    • Working directly with SAF JWT token
    • Utilizing z/OSMF LTPA or JWT token
    • Seamlessly exchange .509 client certificate for a JWT
    • JWS signature
  • What tokens are not yet employed in the Zowe API ML ecosystem and the rationale for introducing them
    • Identity token
    • Refresh token

Wednesday, April 21 at 11:30 ET.

nsmail

Speaker:

Michal Supak

Product Manager, Mainframe Division

CA Brightside APIML, Zowe support

Joe has spent his career enabling application development on the mainframe, from the early days of Unix Systems Services through the current open source era. He has spent several years as part of the Open Data Analytics development team. He is currently focusing on containerized workloads and the mainframe
open source ecosystem.

pavel

Speaker:
Pavlin Zahariev, Broadcom

As an Architect in Broadcom's Mainframe Division - Open Mainframe Team, Pavlin is responsible for the architecture of products and services to support the internal and external adoption of the Zowe API Mediation Layer. Pavlin is mostly responsible for the design of security concepts and related services. Pavlin brings in the Open Mainframe Team his experience with architecture and design of distributed enterprise security and API management systems that he gained from working in the commercial and financial sphere.

Pavlin joined CA Technologies (a Broadcom company) as a Solution Architect in 2019. In his previous professional lives, he has held a variety of technical and managerial positions in several financial institutions - Senior Software Developer, Solution Architect, Scrum Master and a Project manager.

Living in Prague, Pavlin holds a Master of Science degree in Computer science from the Czech Technical University in Prague.

This email was sent by: Open Mainframe Project

[...]

OMP Webinar: Ambitus Project

Christine Blum

Open
                                    Mainframe Logo

Ambitus Project Webinar

In this webinar, we will compare and contrast the open-source environments between Linux on Z, and z/OS. You will learn how much overlap, especially with containerized environments.

We will also discuss the Ambitus project, which helps users with open source workloads specifically on z/OS:

  • A set of containerized workload examples that run on z/OS today
  • Common example tasks for running native (non-containerized) z/OS open source workloads.
  • Z Markup Language: a language-agnostic macro description format and tooling to generate high-level language specifications for control blocks that currently only have assembler bindings.

Speaker: Joe Bostian, IBM z/OS Open Source and Analytics Architect

Joe has spent his career enabling application development on the mainframe,
from the early days of Unix Systems Services through the current open source
era. He has spent several years as part of the Open Data Analytics development
team. He is currently focusing on containerized workloads and the mainframe
open source ecosystem.

This email was sent by: Open Mainframe Project

Treat Yourself to a Guided, Comprehensive Tour of Zowe Desktop Applications

Christine Blum

Open
                                    Mainframe Logo

Webinar: Treat Yourself to a Guided, Comprehensive Tour of Zowe Desktop Applications

Every desktop is designed for an impactful out-of-the-box experience, providing the most-used programs and applications for easy access and increased productivity - the Zowe Desktop is no different. Join us as we go on a guided tour to discover (and RE-discover) the portfolio of applications delivered with the latest version of the Zowe Desktop.

Join us on February 17, 2021 at 11 am ET

This email was sent by: Open Mainframe Project

Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar

Christine Blum

%%_PreHeader%%

Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar

Whether you are a Zowe User, Contributor, Extender, or simply interested in what's happening with Zowe - please join us for our next Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar.

Focus Topic: Containerization of Zowe Components / Flexibility of Zowe Deployment
Focus Speaker: Sean Grady, Rocket Software
Focus Squad: Doc Squad

Join us to learn more about this exciting project!

Date: January 20, 2021

Time: 11:30 AM ET (US and Canada)
Register now!

This email was sent by: The Linux Foundation

548 Market St,. PMB 57274
San Francisco, CA, 94104-5401, United States

Update Profile

COBOL Training Course Project Webinar

Christine Blum

%%_PreHeader%%

COBOL Training Course Project Webinar

Most financial organizations, banks, insurance companies, retailers, and governments need systems that must flawlessly handle huge volumes of transactions every day. Mainframes have been quietly managing this process for decades as their reliability, availability, security, scalability, and performance are unparalleled. While these core systems run Java, Python, and other languages, part of these core systems is COBOL, a reliable, proven programming language that has helped run some of the most mission-critical services applications at the world’s largest companies. The OMP COBOL Programming Course aims to educate and train the next generation of COBOLers.

Join us to learn more about this exciting project!

Date: December 16, 2020
Time: 11:00 AM ET (US and Canada)
Register now!

This email was sent by: The Linux Foundation

548 Market St,. PMB 57274
San Francisco, CA, 94104-5401, United States

Update Profile

Re: GenevaERS Project Webinar

Christine Blum

Awesome! Adding you now Sandy. Keep an eye for a zoom invite.

On 11/11/20 9:05 AM, Kip M Twitchell wrote:
This looks great.  Sandy Peresie (copied) the Integration Architect over Open Source for the project will also help me present.

Kip Twitchell
IBM Global Business Services
Kip.Twitchell@...
630-248-0443 (cell)

Join us to learn about GenevaERS Project. GenevaERS, a single-pass optimization engine driving the data supply chain executing on z/OS. GenevaERS offers businesses a high-level reporting solution uniquely tuned for big data scanning and improved financial transparency for better decision-making. This project combines the processing power of a single pass of large volumes of data, an optimized join feature, the reliability of the mainframe and the dynamic open source community. As a recent addition to the Open Mainframe Project, there are many ways to get involved and the team would love to have your help.

Date: November 18, 2020
Time: 11:00 AM ET (US and Canada)

--
cblum@...
650.743.6297

Date: November 18, 2020
Time: 11:00 AM ET (US and Canada)
Register now!

This email was sent by: The Linux Foundation

548 Market St,. PMB 57274
San Francisco, CA, 94104-5401, United States

Update Profile

Tomorrow: Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar: October 2020

Christine Blum

October 14, 2020

Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar:  October 2020

Whether you are a Zowe User, Contributor, Extender or simply interested in what's happening with Zowe - please join us for the launch of the Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar.  This is the first in the series of webinars we plan to host each quarter.  The webinar will include:
  • A focus topic / speaker
  • A brief Zowe update
  • Upcoming Community Events Overview
  • Interactive Polls

Join us on this webinar to learn how we are extending the Zowe ZSS (z/OS back-end) to facilitate building in-depth (cross-memory, privileged, system-level) mainframe products with little-to-no assembler code required.

Date: Oct 14, 2020
Time: 11:30 AM ET (US and Canada)
Register now!

This email was sent by: The Linux Foundation

1 Letterman Dr., Building D
San Francisco, CA, 94129, United States

Update Profile

Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar: October 2020

Christine Blum

October 14, 2020

Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar:  October 2020

Whether you are a Zowe User, Contribor, Extender or simply interested in what's happening with Zowe - please join us for the launch of the Zowe Quarterly Update Webinar.  This is the first in the series of webinars we plan to host each quarter.  The webinar will include:

Date: Oct 14, 2020
Time: 11:30 AM ET (US and Canada)
Register now!

This email was sent by: The Linux Foundation

1 Letterman Dr., Building D
San Francisco, CA, 94129, United States

Update Profile

Announcement of Open Mainframe Project initiatives to support COBOL needs in response to COVID-19

John Mertic

Open Mainframe Project members and community,

We just announced today with support from Open Mainframe Project members Broadcom, IBM, Phoenix Software, Rocket Software, SUSE, Vicom Infinity, and Zoss Team, a series of initiatives to support the need for COBOL expertise in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Please see the blog announcement made below...

https://www.openmainframeproject.org/blog/2020/04/09/open-mainframe-project-helps-fill-the-need-for-cobol-resources

Please share the below social posts with your networks:

As we all are members of the mainframe community, supporting each other in this time of need is critical. Each of you in the community has an opportunity to be a part of this by...

- posting your availability for volunteer or work-for-hire work for state and local governments and other critical organizations in need with COBOL in the 'Calling all COBOL Programmers' topic on the OMP Community Forums ( https://community.openmainframeproject.org/c/calling-all-cobol-programmers/15 )
- providing your expertise to others that are working on COBOL systems that are responding to the COVID-19 crisis in the 'COBOL technical questions' topic on the OMP Community Forums ( https://community.openmainframeproject.org/c/cobol-technical-questions/16 )

Each and every one of us is a critical piece in helping overcome this global pandemic, and I know that the mainframe community is one to step up to the challenge. Thank you all for your dedication, and I look forward to working with you in this cause.

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation
ASWF, ODPi, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

Open Mainframe and our current global pandemic

John Mertic

Open Mainframe Project Members and Community,

We are all in difficult and uncertain times as we each deal with the impact of the global pandemic. My thoughts and heart goes out to each and every one of you, especially those personally affected by or have loved ones affected by COVID-19. I encourage you to stay safe and ensure you are getting the facts on what’s going on - I highly recommend reviewing this presentation from Stanford professor of neurobiology and bioengineering Michael Lin on what we know about COVID-19 and how to deal with it, with extensive references to the latest research (as of 3/15).

You’ve undoubtedly had numerous messages from companies and organizations outlining their response and actions, so I won’t pile on. What I will say, however, is that open source and diverse collaboration are ways that help us stay connected to each other. Open Source COVID-19 is a resource I came across the other day. This project collects all open source sites related to nCoV/COVID-19. We’re also seeing companies setup and donating open source code and materials to help take on coronavirus, including the Linux Foundation thanks to the generosity of member company Huawei

That all said, what’s Open Mainframe Project doing in light of this epidemic? Let’s dig in…

Helping the mainframe open source community become more virtual

The Open Mainframe Project is intended to serve as a focal point for deployment and use of Linux and Open Source in a mainframe computing environment. That starts with hosting projects and technical efforts that help further the growth of open source on mainframe. With numerous events being cancelled and travel impacted for the foreseeable future, we are here to help.

If you have an open source project on mainframe that needs infrastructure to help collaborate such as web conferencing, video, or other virtual collaboration needs, please reach out to me and I will see how we can help. As a community, we are stronger together - and the Open Mainframe Project is here to facilitate that.

A New Virtual Open Mainframe Project Asset

As there have been numerous events and meetups cancelled that would have brought focus to our project communities, we want to make sure these projects have a chance to get the word out. And as you as a community member, we want to help connect you to projects where you could make a positive impact on.

That’s why on April 17, 2020 at 8 am PST we will be holding an Open Mainframe Project Virtual Event, showcasing the project leadership from Anomaly Detection Engine for Linux Logs, Ambitus, Feilong, Polycephaly, Zowe, and Zorow. In this event, you will learn more about each project; it’s goals, purpose, and focuses. You’ll also learn how you can take part in each project community and contribute to them. Learn more about this event and register for it at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_e7ubLFYUSRuUEYTgba3cEg. We will also make all the recordings available after the event.

Open Mainframe Summit

The inaugural Open Mainframe Summit is scheduled for this September, and at this time it is still taking place as planned September 16 – 17, 2020 in New York, New York. We That all said we continue to carefully monitor the situation, and put the safety of all attendees first and foremost. You can read more about the precautions being taken at

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-mainframe-summit/attend/novel-coronavirus-update/.

Where we go from here...

Weeks ago, I surmised that 2020 will be a busy year for Open Mainframe Project and the entire open source mainframe community. The state of our world might have shifted our activities, but not our spirit.

If you haven’t already, follow Open Mainframe Project on LinkedIn and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest happenings (which can be quite fluid considering the uncertainty in the world ahead). Please also continue to share updates, articles, or blogs, with us at pr@... - our team is ready to support it through social promotions, digital marketing and more!

Thank you again for your support of Open Mainframe Project!

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation
ASWF, ODPi, and Open Mainframe Project
jmertic@...
+1 234-738-4571
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

OMP news this morning - please share

Jesse Casman <jesse@...>

OMP Announce!

OMP is just coming up with information this morning on new members (3 Chinese universities), one new project (Polycephaly), and early info on next year's Open Mainframe Summit. So much great action to finish out 2019 with!

Please share through your social media channels.

ANNOUNCING… OMP’s new project Polycephaly, based on IBM DBB using Groovy script to build z/OS applications with Jenkins and Git, and three academic institutions from China. Find out more about it here: https://bddy.me/xxxxxx #OMP #Mainframe #Polycephaly

Thank you,
Jesse

Jesse Casman
cell 415-730-2793
twitter, github, skype: jcasman

Get Social with #zowe

Chris Blum

Hi All,

Please share in your social channels!

Tweet:

#Zowe v1.3.0 has been released and published!  You can download it from: zowe.org/home
Check it out what’s new at  https://t.co/b4Sdy9oMbE
Congratulations to all the contributors and committers who have made this possible!

LinkedIn:
Zowe v1.3.0 has been released and published!  You can download it from: https://zowe.org/home
The release notes identifying what has changed can be found here: https://t.co/b4Sdy9oMbE
Congratulations to all the contributors and committers who have made this possible!
Thanks!
-Chris

--
Chris Blum
PipelineDemand

HELP WANTED: Your project ideas for 2019 OMP interns

John Mertic

We have started accepting applications for the 2019 summer internship program and keep getting asked one big question:

"What work needs done to help bring more open source to mainframe?"

And this is where each of you in the community comes in - help us find projects that students could work on this upcoming summer.

The students in the past have done some great work, including:

  • Porting open source projects to mainframe ( like Alpine Linux on the huge side, but also smaller projects like Kibana, nextcloud, and Zabbix )
  • Publishing guides on how to get an open source tool going on mainframe ( for example the guides built for Kubernetes on SLES, Ubuntu, and RHEL.
  • Proof of concept of open source being used to build a solution on mainframe ( such as immunichain which showcased HyperLedger on mainframe )
  • Contributions to an Open Mainframe Project hosted project ( such as Zowe )

Tell us you project idea today! Here's how you can do it:

The only requirements for a project is that it must target the mainframe ecosystem and the work must be available under an open source license.

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation
ASWF, ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

ANNOUNCE: Release of '2018 State of Open Mainframe Survey Report'

John Mertic

We are pleased to announce the launch of our first survey results in a whitepaper entitled '2018 State of Open Mainframe Survey Report'. This paper is the project's public report of the findings from the survey across over 145 individuals in the mainframe industry. The asset itself is located at https://www.openmainframeproject.org/2018-state-of-the-open-mainframe-survey-report, and can be used by anyone in the community for as vendor-neutral thought leadership piece.

We encourage you to share the news with your channels! Please see the following suggested tweets.

Check out the @OpenMFProject first survey results on the state of #opensource on #mainframe https://www.openmainframeproject.org/blog/2018/06/06/check-out-our-newly-released-state-of-the-mainframe-report

Click to Tweet: https://ctt.ac/A5FXN

Insights on the future for #mainframe and how it will fit into the #cloud landscape are part of the @OpenMFProject paper '2018 State of Open Mainframe Survey Report' - read more at https://www.openmainframeproject.org/blog/2018/06/06/check-out-our-newly-released-state-of-the-mainframe-report

Click to Tweet: https://ctt.ac/770dr

If you plan to share these results as part of a blog post or other communication, please let us know at social@... so we can cross promote.

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation - ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

ANNOUNCE: "How Open Source is Powering the Modern Mainframe" webinar on Tuesday, May 15th at 1pm ET

John Mertic

Open Mainframe Project community,

We are pleased to announce a live webinar on Tuesday, May 15th, hosted by the Linux Foundation, where Steven Dickens, Len Santalucia, Mike Riggs, and John Mertic will talk on "How Open Source is Powering the Modern Mainframe". The webinar will be a great mix of the historical perspective of open source on the mainframe, how it's used today by the Supreme Court of Virginia, and the impacts the Open Mainframe Project is having on establishing sustainability in the mainframe ecosystem.

We encourage you to share this webinar with your networks. Please see the below suggested tweet.

Suggested Tweet:

Join IBM's @StevenDickens3, Vicom Infinity's @lensantalucia, Mike Riggs from the Supreme Court of Virginia and @jmertic of The Linux Foundation as they discuss How Open Source is Powering the Modern Mainframe. Register now. #mainframe #opensource https://t.co/yS7sEj1X6v

Click to Tweet: https://ctt.ac/n8Y21

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation - ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

ANNOUNCEMENT: Open Mainframe Project Summer Internship class of 2018

John Mertic

We are please to announce today the 2018 summer internship class, who will be working on advancing open source on mainframe with contributions to Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, HyperLedger, and more. You can read the announcement blog post at https://www.openmainframeproject.org/news/2018/05/07/announcing-the-2018-open-mainframe-project-summer-interns

Suggested Tweet to share with your networks:

Announcing the 2018 Summer Internship class, where students will spend the summer advancing #opensource on #mainframe with contributions to @kubernetesio, @cloudfoundry, @Hyperledger, @containerd, and more! https://t.co/ivNIlCd46k

Click to Tweet: https://ctt.ec/df2ya

Thank you,

John Mertic
Director of Program Management - Linux Foundation - ODPi, R Consortium, and Open Mainframe Project
Schedule time with me at https://calendly.com/jmertic

Open Mainframe Project Dinner Meetup @ Open Source Leadership Summit - Tue, 3/6/18 #cal-notice

omp-announce@lists.openmainframeproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

Open Mainframe Project Dinner Meetup @ Open Source Leadership Summit

When:
Tuesday, 6 March 2018
6:00pm to 8:00pm
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Taqueria La Hacienda, 17960 Sonoma Hwy, Sonoma, CA 95476

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-la-hacienda-sonoma

Either meet in hotel lobby at 5:45pm to walk over or at restaurant.

Open Mainframe Project Dinner Meetup @ Open Source Leadership Summit - Tue, 3/6/18 6:00pm-8:00pm #cal-reminder

omp-announce@lists.openmainframeproject.org Calendar <omp-announce@...>

Reminder:
Open Mainframe Project Dinner Meetup @ Open Source Leadership Summit

When:
Tuesday, 6 March 2018
6:00pm to 8:00pm
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
Taqueria La Hacienda, 17960 Sonoma Hwy, Sonoma, CA 95476

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-la-hacienda-sonoma

Either meet in hotel lobby at 5:45pm to walk over or at restaurant.

An RSVP is requested. View Event.

1 - 20 of 25